Last week I learnd for example that it is not advisable at all to start discussions about Singaporean politics with locals. People here are very proud of their country and they like it not having to think about anything. It's quite comfortable to be told how to wash your hands, not to jump in the MRT pit, not to trust anybody, ... But I think I have to deal with that without complaining :-)
And I learnd a lot of Buddha figures at the Chinese market. But in summary they all are good for luck and prosperity.
I university my project slowly gets in shape. A student who does his final year project here - everyone in Singapore has to do a final year project before doing his Bachelor's /Master's degree - is building a really impressing test setup. Dr. Slava, a Russian research fellow has built the circuit for me quite nicely. The only thing is that they take me more as an expert advisor than as a student who wants to learn someting. But when the motion control will be implemented, I hopefully will learn something.
The last weekend I was manly in Chinatown and did some X-mas shopping. In the Red Dot Traffic Building their was a really nice craftwork market. And also at the Chinese market you can find some nice giveaways.
The Red Dot Traffic Building itself is - as I mentioned before - also the Asian headquarter of msg systems. And it has a really impressing Design Museum in it, where practical artwork can be found. For example there is a exhibition of Tupperware products at the moment, that all won the "Red Dot Design Award" in the past.
After that we went to the Buddha Tooth temple. According to my tourist guide the temple was built in the last 10 years in order to show the real tooth of Buddha. Singaporeans spent lots of money and hunderts of kilos of gold to make it possible to built the temple. Shortly after opening they found of that the Buddha tooth was in fact from a cow.
Saturday evening I went together with Nadine to a free outside Jazz concert at Esplanade. It was more like free jazz... it needs getting used to :-)
After that we went to Loof, a rooftop bar next to Raffles Hotel. And I had one of the best cocktails in my life there. "Gummyberry". (Yeah, the name sounds disgusting, I know! But you defenitly should try it, when you ever come there!) It is a forest fruit cocktail with meringue on the top.
Today I will go with Nadine and one of her collegues to Blu Jaz Café. Hopefully it is more melodious than last time.
![]() |
| Singapore - 4th week |

Obviously you both like taking photos (cf. picture 8 in the linked album). And I would really like to be where you are now, especially when I compare the weather (rain, cold, no snow) with yours...
ReplyDelete... but the forecast said something about snow end of this week, so perhaps we are going to have white christmas.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWell, I just explained her the functionality of her Cam. So she was quite impressed, what fancy possibilities it has :-)
ReplyDeleteAs here is still rainy season, the weather is not that good as you might be thinking... ok, it has 28°C++, ok, I can stay outside the whole night in short trousers and tank tops (atleast the weather makes it possible... some people actually rather stare at you when you show too much skin), but hey! It's Christmas. And I think rainy, muddy weather is more christmas-like than this one. So enjoy the rain. And if you could manage to get some snow till 23rd it would be great.